What To Do If Arvato Financial Solutions Are Chasing You For Debt Repayments
Arvato Financial Solutions Ltd is a division of Bertelsmann. Arvato provides a range of financial solutions, including debt collection, to both public and private sector clients across the UK and internationally. Arvato operates in 21 countries worldwide, with 6,000 staff across 40 different locations.
Arvato’s credit management services range from early arrears management to field collection services. Arvato work with 8 of the largest UK and Irish banks, the UK’s top 6 energy suppliers and 8 major UK water companies.
Arvato Financial Solutions has several UK associations and memberships – a full list is available on their website.
Arvato is a member of the Credit Services Association (CSA) and Institute of Revenues, Ratings and Valuations (IRRV), among others. It also has the following accreditations:
- International Standard on Assurance Engagements (ISAE) No. 3402 type II
- Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) level I
- Office of Fair Trading (OFT)
- Data Protection Act (DPA)
- Customer Service Excellence
- A variety of ISO certifications across our locations
- Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) – Wholesale Dealer’s Licence
- Technology Asset Protection Association (TAPA) Level A accreditation at Hams Hall
- Unit4 ERP for Hire to Retire and Payroll
- Supplier of Cyber Security Service to HMG
- PSN Code of Compliance for Independent Shared Service Centre 1 (ISSC1) and Cyber ‘Security as a Service’
- PSN Code of Connection for Independent Shared Service Centre 1 (ISSC1) and Cyber ‘Security as a Service’
- ISO 27001 for Independent Shared Service Centre 1 (ISSC1) and Cyber ‘Security as a Service’
- ISO 20000 for Independent Shared Service Centre 1 (ISSC1) and Cyber ‘Security as a Service’
- Information Assurance for Small/Medium Enterprises for Independent Shared Service Centre 1 (ISSC1) and Cyber ‘Security as a Service’
- Cyber Essential Plus for Independent Shared Service Centre 1 (ISSC1) and Cyber ‘Security as a Service’
- HMG PGA Accredited for Independent Shared Service Centre 1 (ISSC1) and Cyber ‘Security as a Service’
Why Are Arvato Contacting Me?
Arvato are a debt collection agency, so if you are receiving calls, texts or letters from Arvato, it’s because they believe you owe money.
If you’re thinking ‘but I’ve never heard of Arvato?’, that’s because Arvato purchase debts from other companies, so your original debt was with a different creditor.
How Can I Stop Arvato’s Letters And Calls?
It can be alarming when you are first contacted by a debt collection agency like Arvato, but it’s a normal part of the debt recovery procedure. Don’t panic – there are a number of steps you can take to alleviate the pressure.
If you are contacted by a debt collection agency it is important to establish the original debt that the contact relates to. Ask Arvato to provide a copy of the original credit agreement – they must legally provide it.
Request that you are only contacted by post – this should stop unwanted phone calls and texts. Asking for contact by post only gives you time to process the information you are being given, and takes the pressure off you for an immediate response.
Ask for breathing space. Most creditors will give you 30 days ‘breathing space’ if you tell them you are seeking advice about your debt problem. This should put a pause on most contact, though you may still receive some letters if Arvato is legally obliged to send them.
Seek advice – don’t struggle with your debts alone. There are debt specialists like scottishtrustdeed.co.uk who can advise you on the best way to manage your debt.
If you can afford to pay, do. The quickest and easiest way to prevent further contact from a debt collection agency is to pay what you owe. Obviously, this is not always feasible.
What Will Happen If I Don’t Pay Arvato?
If you have been contacted by Arvato Financial Solutions, don’t be tempted to bury your head in the sand, hoping they will just go away – it is always better to start a dialogue with the debt collection agency, even if you can’t afford to pay.
If you fail to respond, you put yourself at risk of legal action being taken against you and escalating costs putting you further in debt. Choosing to ignore your debts is also likely to cause further damage to your credit file.
You should contact Arvato to discuss your circumstances, even if you feel you cannot afford to make a payment.
It may be helpful at this stage to seek advice on your debts from a debt specialist – make sure you don’t enter into a payment agreement with Arvato without first making sure you can reasonably afford the repayments.
How Can Scottishtrustdeed.co.uk Help Me?
If you are struggling with your debts, scottishtrustdeed.co.uk can help. We offer a range of debt management solutions and work with you to find the most suitable option for your needs.
Here are some of the ways in which we could help you sort your debt problems:
- Debt Management Plan – an informal agreement with your creditors to make affordable monthly repayments.
- Debt Consolidation Loan – to clear all your current debt. Use the loan to pay multiple creditors, enabling you to make one single monthly repayment instead.
- Minimal Asset Process (MAP) – a form of bankruptcy for those with a low income and few assets – you might be able to get your debt written off (Scotland only).
- Scottish Trust Deed – repay affordable amounts over a fixed period (usually 4 years) then have the rest of your debt written off.
- Debt Arrangement Scheme – helps you repay at an affordable rate (Scotland only).
- IVA – another form of debt repayment plan for people with unmanageable levels of debt.
- Bankruptcy – if you have unsecured debts you can’t afford to repay, bankruptcy (called sequestration in Scotland) could help clear your debts, but has serious consequences and impact on your credit file.
Work Out A Budget
Lots of people end up committing to repayments they simply cannot afford. It’s important to work out a budget so you don’t leave yourself unable to meet the monthly repayments.
You want to avoid causing yourself further problems and need to ensure you can still afford day-to-day living expenses.
When working out a budget you need to think about your income versus your expenditure.
Income: Wages, benefits, pension, tax credits
Expenditure: Rent/mortgage, utilities, insurances, groceries, existing debt repayments etc.
You must also give consideration to inflation and the rising cost of living. You are likely to be paying off your debts for a number of months or years so what is just about affordable now, could be crippling in a couple of years’ time.
What Can Arvato Do?
Debt collection agencies must follow strict rules laid down by the Financial Conduct Authority and Credit Services Association.
Debt collection agencies have no additional legal powers to the original creditor the debt was with and are different to bailiffs. There are a number of things Arvato can’t do, such as:
- can’t harass you – for example with excessive calls
- can’t mislead you or lie to you about their legal powers
- can’t remove your possessions from your house
- can’t discuss your debt with anyone else without your permission
- can’t claim excessive or unfair collection charges
Arvato can do the following:
- chase you for payment
- send doorstep collectors called field agents
- add reasonable interest and charges
- issue default notices
- apply for a County Court Judgement (CCJ)
What Can I Do If Arvato Send Agents To My Home?
If debt collection agents from Arvato turn up on your doorstep, it’s always advisable to ask for ID and make a note of the agent’s name.
You don’t have to answer the door. Debt collection agents, unlike bailiffs, CANNOT enter your home uninvited AND, if you do invite them in, they MUST leave if you ask them to.
They’re NOT allowed to remove your possessions from the house.
You can tell the agents at your door that you wish to deal with the debt in writing. Debt collection agencies have to comply with reasonable contact demands you make.
If you do decide to invite Arvato agents in, explain your circumstances and never agree to pay more than you can afford. Show them your budget (if you have one) or ask for time to make one/ seek advice on your debts.
If you are going to make a payment, do this directly to the creditor or Arvato over the phone. Avoiding paying the agents gives them less incentive to visit again.
Finally, if you do pay the agent at your home, make sure you get a receipt.
Making A Complaint
If you wish to make a complaint about Arvato Financial Solutions you should seek to resolve it with them directly, in the first instance.
You can send your complaints to:
The complaints department, aFS Ltd, 24 George Square, Glasgow, G2 1EG
Or email: [email protected]
If you are unsatisfied with Arvato’s final response to your complaint, you can escalate your complaint further.
You can do this by referring it to the Financial Ombudsman Service (for credit cards, store cards, loans and insurance accounts) or the Credit Services Association (for utilities, telecommunications or government body accounts).
The Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR
Credit Services Association, 2 Esh Plaza, Sir Bobby Robson Way, Great Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE13 9BA
Can Arvato Financial Solutions take me to court?
If you owe money to Arvato Financial Solutions and you do not pay, you can be sued. If Arvato Financial Solutions sues you and wins, the court will enter a judgment (also called an order) against you that says you must pay back the debt. But if all your money and property are protected, then creditors cannot take them from you. Get free advice here.
Legally write off up to 85% of debt
Unaffordable debt can be legally written off by using the LEGISLATED Scottish Trust Deed or IVA program (If you reside in England). This can also protect your assets, such as your house or car from repossession. See if you qualify by using our free debt calculator here.
How can I stop debt letters from Arvato Financial Solutions?
Write to Arvato Financial Solutions to Request them to Stop Contacting You (If That's What You Want) Under the FCA guidelines, if you request that a debt collector stop contacting you completely, it must do so (with a few exceptions). Your request must be in writing. You can use our 'prove the debt letter' to do this. Download it for free here.
Can Arvato Financial Solutions come into my house?
Without a court order, absolutely not. Neither Arvato Financial Solutions or any other debt collection agency nor a debt collector is considered a court-appointed bailiff. Arvato Financial Solutions may visit the address of a debtor but cannot enter the dwelling without the consent of the resident.
Services Offered By Arvato Financial Solutions: Consumer Debt Collection, Debt Purchase, Tracing, Utility Debt Collection, Consumer Non-regulated Debt, Field Collections